Sunday, June 24, 2012

Food in Japan

It's always an adventure to eat in a new country, particularly because I might be considered a picky eater by some! We have had breakfast at our hotel each morning, which has been an interesting buffet-style spread of breads, ham, seaweed, rice, and salads. While I enjoy a good salad, I can't say that it is appealing for breakfast for me, so I have had a piece of toast and coffee each morning. My breakfast plate looks a bit more like a French meal than a Japanese one!


The only lunches we've had so far have been on the airplane, at the school, or munchies that we've had during our Chicago Days (hot dogs and crepes included for those who wanted them!), but dinners have been delicious! Meals have been served in a bento box (with tiny compartments) or in various small plates. Most meals come with miso soup and rice, even breakfast!

Joe and I were grossly entertained by the display of dried fish as snacks- no thank you!


Candy bar that Mikiko claims is the most delicious in Japan- it tasted like an Oreo cookie!
Vegetables over rice that I had for dinner.
Seafood tempora that Matt ordered.
Miso soup with clams. I prefer mine plain!

On Saturday night, everyone went out for sushi and sashimi, but when I arrived, my already-upset stomach couldn't handle the smells of the fish, the cigarette smoke (they smoke anywhere in restaurants), etc., so I headed home early to a dinner of Ritz crackers! They are delicious anywhere!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! Bring me back some dried fish snacks. I would love to try them!

    ReplyDelete